Friday 30 October 2009

Analysing the map

To refine the map, I've analysed how many hexes it has of each type. I have drawn up a table that shows how many hexes have dot towns with 6 playable hexsides, or cities with 5 playable hexsides, and so forth. For hexes with fewer than five hexsides, I've noted the different configurations (e.g. K, X or Y shapes). This shows me that I have a few hexes that don't fit the more general pattern, which suggests that I might change those hexes. For example, one city hex has just 2 playable hexsides that are adjacent and I don't want to provide a tile with that shape, so I might make it a pre-printed hex. In other cases I can add track in otherwise unplayable hexes, in order to increase the playable hexsides of adjacent hexes. None of this is rocket science but the table is very useful in suggesting which hexes might need work.

I've also realised that I have large numbers of dot towns. In some cases, this could lead to boring track lays. For example, where a row of coastal hexes each contains a dot town, they would all upgrade to green "K" tiles with only one permitted orientation. I am considering adding some extra track to link such hexes along the coast, so that the number of playable hexsides is increased and so more options are available when laying tiles.

I'm pleased to be at this stage; I think I am close to having a playable map. I'm sure it will continue to change but it's taken a long time just to get this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment